This week, you will write a commentary based on any THREE assigned short documentary films from USA Today.
Instructions for Commentary
- Your commentary should be 800 words.
- Make sure to read about the project before watching the films. Use your knowledge of the project to develop your main argument.
- Writing a commentary means you analyze an issue based on the information given to you and write your opinion about it (as it was presented). Here is an example: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-real-border-crisis-is-trumps-remain-in-mexico-policy/2020/03/06/02d6964c-5cd8-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html (Links to an external site.)
- Support your arguments with proper sources, and cite your sources (use any citation format you wish)
- List the three documentaries you watched.
- Some questions to help guide you (you can also write about things not captured in these questions–don’t restrict yourself only to these)
- Why did you choose the three documentaries that you watched and not others?
- What was your reaction to these films? What appealed to you? What didnâ€™t?
- Before reading about this project â€˜The Wallâ€™, what were the aspects of the US-Mexico â€˜borderâ€™ (or any border in general) that you hadnâ€™t thought about?
- Before reading about this project â€˜The Wallâ€™, what were the aspects of migration that you hadnâ€™t thought about?
- Based on what you saw/read, if you were a policy-maker, how would you address the issue of migration, both legal and illegal?
- From what you know, do you think governments are doing a good job of handling migration?