- Define the term nutrition:
- What is your best guess at this time: Are you under-nourished, adequately nourished or over-nourished?
- Is it possible to be under-nourished and overweight? Why?
- Define the term health and describe your expectations for each aspect of your health.
- How could healthy eating habits help you reach your goals for each aspect of your health?
- What are the common conditions that are related to diet?
- How much money does the U.S. spend on the obesity problem each year?
- Describe how you could eat healthy food on a budget.
- What are the 6 nutrients that are essential for life?
- Regarding carbohydrates: How many calories per gram are there? What is the main function of carbohydrates?
- What are the building blocks of carbohydrates?
- How many calories per gram are in lipids? What is the main function of a lipid?
- Describe (you donâ€™t have to draw this) the structure of a triglyceride.
- How many calories per gram are in proteins? What is the main function of proteins?
- What are the building blocks of proteins? How many are there?
- Give typical food sources for carbs, lipids and proteins:
- What are some functions of water in the body?
- Choose 4 of the things that influence our food choices that you think influence you the most and describe how they are an influence in your life.
- If you were to do an informal assessment of your nutritional status, what would you say?
- If you went to the doctor, what additional tests would they do to help you establish your nutritional status?
- What are the benefits of bulky meals? Give an example of a bulky meal.
- What are the benefits of a concentrated meal? Give an example of a concentrated meal.
- Describe nutrient dense foods.
- Describe energy dense foods.
- What does the term balance mean? Give an example.
- What does the term variety mean, give an example, and explain how itâ€™s different from balance?
- What information can you get from reading a food label?
- What information on a food label can you use to calculate the number of calories coming from the different macromolecules (carbs, lipids and proteins)? How do those calculations work: give an example of each.
- What is the myPlate recommendation?
- Using these tools of building a healthy diet, explain how you would build a meal. Give an example.
Outline Rubric (4)
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeDescription of criterion
Total Points: 10.0
<a href="https://cascadia.instructure.com/courses/1918608/modules/items/41774292" role="button" class="Button module-sequence-footer-button–previous" data-tooltip="right" data-html-tooltip-title=" Week 2 Discussion Forum – on Introductory Information – There are ongoing due dates for each part of this discussion. Please see the schedule for specifics.” aria-describedby=”msf0-previous-desc”>Previous