CMPM 151 Assignment 3 (Option 2): Game Sound Critique
Due Date: 5/12/2019 @ 11:59 pm PST.
Produce a critical write-up of the sound/music in a game of choice.
The document must meet the following requirements:
- Pages must be formatted with 1-inch margins, 12-point font (Aerial or Times New Roman), and double-spaced.
- The document must be in paragraph form with a length between 750 and 1000 words.
- Describe the context of the audio in the game:
- What is the genre of the game and what is its purpose?
- What is the role of the audio in the game?
- Describe how and why the music/audio enhances or detracts from gameplay.
- NOTE: Mere play-by-play description is NOT enough!!! Do no simply describe WHAT the audio is doing; describe WHY it is doing it.
- Include commentary related to the following concepts:
- Diagetic vs. Non-Diagetic
- Include commentary that utilizes (some or all of) the following vocabulary:
- Frequency (pitch or register)
- Signal Processing Effects (i.e. reverb)
- Include a link to the game being critiqued (e.g. YouTube gameplay).
- Where appropriate, include clear references to points in the game discussed. [e.g. The tempo and style of the music suddenly change when Mario gets star power (â€œMarioGameLinkâ€ @ 2â€™12â€™â€™)]
- The document must be submitted in .pdf format.
- 90% the document exhibits the criteria listed above.
- 10% clear and effective writing.