By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of management roles.
- Analyze differences between management and leadership.
- Analyze leadership characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of a manager.
- Analyze management characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of a manager.
- Competency 4: Evaluate how leading influences the role of a manager.
- Compare management and leadership roles in relation to concepts of leading.
Management and leadership are not the same thing, but they are necessarily linked and complementary. Any effort to separate the two is likely to cause more problems than it solves. However, much thought has gone into delineating the differences.
Conduct independent research to familiarize yourself with the differences between management and leadership. You may find the materials listed in the Suggested Resources for this unit helpful, or you may refer to other resources. Complete a 1–2 page paper that addresses the following questions:
- What are differences between management and leadership? Compare the roles of the manager and the leader in relation to concepts of leading.
- Consider a management situation that you either directly experienced, or which occurred in a context familiar to you. Analyze the leadership and management characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of the manager.
- What research did you use to support your work in arriving at the goals and activities? Use APA style and formatting to cite your sources.
You are required to submit your assessment to the Turnitin source matching tool. Refer to the FlexPath instructions on the Turnitin iGuide page, linked in the Assessment Resources.
Refer to the Management and Leadership Assessment Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assessment. Submit your assessment for faculty evaluation by clicking the linked assessment title in the assessment link below. Be sure to include the corresponding Turnitin report with your assessment.