DIRECTIONS: Using MLA formatting write a brief, 1-page maximum (10 – 12 point font) reflection essay on the prompt below. Cite any references according to MLA formatting (you will obviously cite the films and the textbook). This is a paper and must contain a beginning (introduction), middle, and end (conclusion). Do not simply answer the question. Post your paper in Canvas before the deadline.
FIRST: Watch the lecture video and read the Lecture Slides. Watch â€œSpirited Awayâ€ (2001, d. Hayao Miyazaki) and, if you havenâ€™t yet, â€œRashomonâ€ (1959, d. Akira Kurosawa). Read Film Art pp. 369 â€“ 400.
PROMPT: Compare and contrast Akira Kurosawa and Hayao Miyazakiâ€™s perspectives on ONE of the following based on your observations and impressions:
- Sacrifice for the greater good over self-preservation or selfishness
- Concern for the welfare and dignity of persons
- An individualâ€™s actions can change the course of history for better/worse
- Personal Identity
- Value of Work
- The Natural World as a Story Setting
- â€œTo act bravely even though nobody caresâ€ or is watching.
- Cite SPECIFIC examples from the film.
- Write an introduction.
- Conclude your thoughts.
- Include a Works Cited page citing the films, the textbook, and any other sources you use.