Competent and Incompetent Communication
We are now going to analyze communication and using course concepts identify 1) competent communication, 2) incompetent communication, and 3) offer suggestions for improvement.
Please view the following scene from the film CRASH and then write a thoughtful analysis using these guidelines questions for prompts:
1) Identify one type of competent (effective and appropriate) behavior engaged in by Shaniqua.
2) Identify one type of competent (effective and appropriate) behavior engaged in by Ryan.
3) Identify three examples of incompetent (ineffective and inappropriate) behavior engaged in by Shaniqua.
4) Identify three examples of incompetent (ineffective and inappropriate) behavior engaged in by Ryan.
5) What are two communication behaviors Shaniqua could have done to increase the competence and outcome achievement of the interaction?
6) what are two communication behaviors Ryan could have done to increase the competence and outcome achievement of the interaction?
7) Who do you think was the more competent communicator? How so? Focus on goal achievement?
*****Focus on using course content in each of your answers. I encourage you to use the Chapter Outlines or the end of the chapter word banks to identify the most appropriate content. Put the terms in Bold Print and provide a paraphrased definition in ( ) just as you did for the CIJs. Use terms from any and all chapters in the textbook/chapter outlines.
Just to get you thinking, might these concepts apply: Communication Ethics: integrity, honesty, fairness, respect, responsibility; situational attribution, dispositional attribution; facts and inferences; Empathy, empathetic responsiveness, perspective-taking, sympathetic responsiveness; using nonverbal communication to demonstrate power, to reinforce verbal message, to contradict verbal message, to substitute for verbal message; specific, concrete, and precise language; fundamental attribution error; perception checking, questioning for clarification, paraphrasing content to be certain of ideas presented; describing and owning feelings; framing messages….
After posting your initial analysis, you are to respond to at least three other group member’s posts. each of these posts should include the following:
A) Compliment to specific content presented. This could be insightful ideas, quality of writing, or quality of thinking.
B) Question to produce more explanation and/or deeper exploration.
C) Comment on the ideas presented and where you identify your thoughts.
D) Connection to course content whether in the textbook or another article found on the Internet.
These four components may be in any order.
this is the book link ISBN: 9780199398010 – https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1_sacv_5WiJyc5JaDyofXOPLqSFk5LKKq