This is a small exercise for discussion session. Please read and answer the following questions
1) Consider the following thesis statement and clarification:
Jamba Juice is a healthier choice than Starbucks. The drinks at Jamba Juice are rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants, are low in fat, and avoid caffeine and other stimulants.
2) Imagine a piece of evidence for each point in the claim, you may need to scout Jamba Juice’s website.
3) Are all of the points and evidence equally convincing?
4) Pick the weakest point and construct a counter-argument for it. How would you word it? How would you argue it is a convincing position?
5) Finally, how can you respond to that counter-argument? If you can easily dismiss it or assert it as a gross misrepresentation of the facts, than it is NOT a sound counter-argument. (Go back to the Handbook for guidance on this). The response should be the most difficult part of the counter-argument.
We will return to Counter-Arguments once more during the quarter. They are a critical component of the HUM essay.