Unit V Article Critique
In this unit, we discussed the importance of learning to work effectively with diverse groups of people. In order to excel as a health care professional, it is important that you learn to respect and embrace the differences rather than being afraid of them. For this assignment, choose a peer-reviewed article about cultural differences that you may encounter in the workplace to critique. Use the databases within the CSU Online Library, or use another source that contains peer-reviewed articles. The purpose of this assignment is for you to practice reviewing and critiquing articles that contribute to the industry. The authors of these articles are researchers and professionals who have shared or experimented with ideas that demonstrate potential to improve the industry. As a professional in the industry, it is in your best interest to review the literature and trends. This provides you with the opportunity to read about what was successful and how it was accomplished. Plus, it allows you to analyze what was unsuccessful, how you can improve it, or at least how you can avoid repeating the mistakes of others. Use these skills to contribute to research papers and other scholarly writings. If you have not already, you will hopefully contribute to the industry by publishing an article and sharing it with your community of peers.
As you read the article you choose for this assignment, consider the following questions:
How could the topic of this article apply to your personal or professional life?
How could it apply to an organization you have observed?
The article you choose must meet the following requirements:
Be peer reviewed
Relate to the concepts within this course
Be at least 10 pages in length
The writing you submit must meet the following requirements:
Be at least two pages
Identify the main topic/question
Identify the author’s intended audience
Critique the article and share your thoughts—what appears to be valid and invalid?
Do you agree with the author’s assertions? Why, or why not?
Explain cultural competence and why it is important for health care professionals for page two
Discuss how the health care industry can improve how well its professionals relate to one another, as well as the patients they serve
BHA 3202, Standards for Health Care Staff 3
Format your Article Critique using APA style. Use your own words, and include citations and references as needed to avoid plagiarism.
Makely, S. (2012). Professionalism in health care: A primer for career success (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, IncAt least 300 words each question
1. Describe the personality types presented in the textbook. Which personality type fits your personality? Discuss the impact an individual’s personality type has on overall patient care.
2. Discuss the role that respect plays in the development of cultural competence and diversity
3. Customer service is important to any health care organization. Discuss various ways to ensure patient and customer satisfaction
4. Explain the difference between stereotypes and generalizations. Discuss the impact stereotypes can have on patient care.
5. Explain the difference between stereotypes and generalizations. Discuss the impact stereotypes can have on patient care.