Review fellow learners’ posts and respond 100-word minimum response.
- As a supervisor, one needs to lead by example and address any possible negative lack of competence by any subordinate or coworker. Understanding that some individuals have diverse backgrounds and others donâ€™t will contribute whether or not comments about other groups or subcultures will occur. Certain subsections such as sexual orientation can be sensitive subject due others personal values and opinions. According to Paprock (2014) when discussing these issues, it is important to realize that we have all been on both sides of the oppression/oppressor coin at different points in our livesâ€ (p. 288).
- In the article the inclusive workplace: An ecosystem approach to diversity management by Mor Barak, M., E. (2000), the author made an interesting argument in reference to expanding diversity outside of the organization. In the article the author referred that an organization need look outside of their organization when it comes to diversity. Mor Barak stated that the organization need to include their organizations diversity and include a larger system that is associated with the organizations environment. The diversities organizations include the community, people in the state and local government that work with poor people, and work together and collaborate across culture and national boundaries and the focus is on global and mutual interest (Mor Barak, M.,E. 2000). Mor Barak also talks about the aging workforce and the shift in more women and ethnic groups that are replacing individuals in the work force. As stated by Beckett & Dungee-Anderson (1998), the different groups that are entering the workforce give hint to a more diverse workplace and mixed client pool in reference to human services organizations. Thus, making a need for a better developed paradigm for a greater inclusive work environment.
- The ecological model of human development is an approach to human development that discusses how changes in the environment affect the development of an individual across his or her entire life span (Kirst-Ashman’s & Hull, 2019). This approach will allow for a professional to understand a holistic view to all the environmental factors that have an affect on an individual’s life. As a result, the ecological approach will provide a more direct framework that provides a more structured technique towards understanding the treatment processes amongst adolescents and young adults who are experiencing symptoms of depression. Therefore, there will be a clear view on the biological, emotional, and psychological factors that have an affect on the individual’s overall development. Bronfenbrenner discusses five environmental systems that impacts an individual’s growth and development. These systems are Micro, Mezzo, Exo, Macro, and Chrono (Kirst-Ashman & Hull, 2019). In the research, it shows how these factors are distinctive across all health issues within an individual’s life (Lounsbury & Mitchell, 2009). Moreover, it tackles the individual psychosocial factors that are involved in the occurrence of these health issues. There are many challenges that an individual struggling with depression face on an everyday basis. Because these individuals are faced with these challenges on an everyday basis causes them to be more aware of the resources that are available to mitigate the problem. As a result, this will provide more resilience toward the symptoms of depression and more management toward the problem as well as awareness to the environmental factors that have caused the symptoms of depression to occur.
- After reading Forte (2007) concepts of systems theory, research has shown that each system is connected in some type of way by space and time and is influenced by external stimuli within the environment that may have an affect on the system as a whole. Forte states that if there is a break in the system then it will cause an alteration within the whole system. In understanding how this can relate to the concept of depression amongst adolescences and young adult, it shows how the negative affects of depressive symptoms will have a major affect on the community as a whole. In other words, when one person experience symptoms of depression it will take affect to the entire community in counter transference of emotions.Therefore, systems theory provides a structural framework in understanding what environmental factors are associated with the affects of depression amongst adolescences and young adults and how these factors are affecting theentire community. The application of the concepts within systems theory and my personal understanding of how professionals work with individuals to mitigate the situations within the community allows me to see how to put together concepts within a group to provide beneficial treatment plans to resolve the problem. Forte (2007)use of mapping gave me a greater understanding into the concept as a whole and how the use of mapping shows the overlapping concepts that may be associated with the problem and how to advocate within the community and showing how the community can come to relate to the problem at hand and provide techniques that benefit the community in resolving the problem.
- Physical resilience is the flexible and adaptive response of physical infrastructure to external shock, such as an earthquake, flood, heat wave, or terrorist attack (Zellner, et al., 2011, p. 45). Social resilience describes how quickly individuals, groups, organizations, and institutions respond practically to external or internal shocks (Zellner, et al., 2011, p. 45). In working with human service professionals to advance resilience skills in children who experienced tornados that lead to multiple deaths, I would use a more traditional approach to working with the school and the children. I would focus on the trauma and the age group of the children by providing community resources such as grief counselors, Trauma-informed groups to come in, as well as disaster emergency organizations like FEMA and the American Red Cross. I would also include the parents and or guardians of those children and provide education and assistance to the administrators and teachers to help them know and recognize the signs of the children who may be in crisis.
Handling a situation where an employee brought to my attention that another employee appears to be guy, I would address the concern through supervision and provide continued education on the matter. One way to increase your awareness of ethical and therapeutic considerations in working with LGBT clients is to take advantage of continuing education workshops sponsored by national, regional, state, and local professional organizations (Corey and Corey, 2019).
In a work environment, professional supervisors have the responsibility of addressing and making employees aware of multiculturalism. The ACA code of ethics state counseling supervisors are aware of and address the role of multiculturalism/ diversity in the supervisory relationship (ACA, 2014). Through training, continued education and supervision, employees can gain the competency and awareness of others to enhance their skills and knowledge.
How could you apply the information that you learned in this article to your current or future work situation? The information obtained can work closely with my future work situation because I work for an organization that is embedded in the community and hire individuals from all walks of life, race, ethnicity, and recovering addiction addicts. For example, we have teams that go out and work with individuals and the teams include a peer support (recovering addict), counselor, and social worker. In order to be effective in the work environment, the organization will have to have a wider range of diversity outside of the organization. The benefit of the organization will be that can capitalize on the increasing global market by employing individuals form different nationalities in or outside their native country (Beatty, R. P., & Ritter, J. R. 1986).
Include relevant, required information; adequate explanations; and alternative viewpoints. Offer additional resources that may help expand their perspective, divergent issues for consideration, and suggestions for enhancing their discussion. Your responses to your peers should contain at least 250 words as well as two scholarly resources.
Bronfenbrenner’s concept of ecological development challenge the strict use of stage developmental processes in human development in that it forces an individual to go more in depth into the problem and utilizing more external techniques to resolve the problem. The importance in knowing the ecological systems concepts in understanding the implementation of the programs within the community provided for ethnically, economically and socially diverse individuals is as stated before in that it allows for many resources to come together in assisting one another in the problem of depression.
Respond to the initial post of one learner by citing additional resources that may help his or her work, presenting divergent issues for consideration, and providing suggestions for enhancing the post. Your response must contain at least 150 words and one scholarly resource that your peer did not incorporate in his or her initial post.
One organization that I would contact is the Childrenâ€™s Disaster Services. This organization provides childcare in shelters and disaster assistance centers by training and certifying volunteers to respond to traumatized children through a safe, calm, and reassuring presence (www.disastercenter.com). This organization also works with schools, community agencies, and parents to provide workshops to help understand and meet the necessary needs of children who have experienced trauma and disasters (www.disastercenter.com).