- State the significance of nursing theory, nursing research, and evidence-based practice.
- Identify the role of the consumer of nursing research.
- Discuss evidence-based and quality improvement decision making.
- Identify the importance of critical reading skills for critical appraisal of research.
- Click on the hyperlink to watch the video about medication abortion: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion/abortion-pill-medication-abortion-4354.asp (Links to an external site.)
- Read the discussion topic below and answer the questions. You are expected to answer to two other classmates.
Currently, the law states that a woman must see a physician in person before she can use mifepristone (the abortion pill RU 486) to induce an abortion. The law prohibits using a video conference with the physician and the medication being administered by a nonphysician. Legislators are seeking information to introduce a bill that makes the prescription of the abortion pill less restrictive. A group of legislators from your district have hired you to help them find appropriate information to introduce a bill to change the law.
What information would you provide the legislator and why?
How could nursing research and evidence-based practice help the legislators in this case?
What is the relationship between nursing theory, nursing research, and evidence-based practice?