Option1: The Impressionists and Their Critics
Impressionism became a very popular art movement during the 19 th century in France. However, when Impressionists like Claude Monet and Auguste Renoir debuted their work, many art critics disliked it.
Read the following links:
- http://www.artchive.com/galleries/1874/74critic.htm#cardon (Links to an external site.) (Translated from the French critics’ reactions in 1874)
- http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/impressionism-france.html (Links to an external site.)
- https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/learn-about-art/guide-to-impressionism/guide-to-impressionism (Links to an external site.)
Take a closer look at the artworks from Monet and Renoir below:
Write a three (3) paragraph minimum response addressing the following questions and post your statement to the Discussion Board on our Blackboard site; then reply to two classmate’s postings.
1) Why did critics dislike the work of the Impressionists?
2) Are their opinions surprising to you?
3) What is your opinion of Monet and Renoir’s work?
4) How do you think time and place influence our opinion of artworks?
5) In two separate posts, respond to two classmates who made interesting observations.