In summary writing, you demonstrate your comprehension of a text. The rhetorical purpose of a summary is to provide an overview of a text for an audience who may not be familiar with it. For this assignment, imagine your audience is comprised of other English 095 students who are also considering the issues we are discussing in class but who have not read this specific text. To achieve this overarching purpose, your summary will need to make the following moves:
- Identify the text by author and title
- Briefly explain necessary contextual information, such as where and when the piece was published.
- Identify the authorâ€™s main purpose
- Summarize the authorâ€™s central argument, and supporting claims and details
- Describe (in brief) the evidence the author provides to supports his/her claims.
The paragraph should follow conventions of closed-form prose and demonstrate unity, coherence, and development.