Ethos—build credibility and a sense of connection and trust
Convince a group of 21 elderly people that they need adopt a specific exercise program. If at least 11 don’t sign up, they can’t pay for the instructor.
Frame &: Crux Pathos Frame: If you want to succeed, you need to create awareness about your work. It’s not about making money; it’s about making connections with dealers and gallery owners.
Arrangement: I want you to label each part of your text so that I know when you’re doing Narration, when Division, etc.
Opening: Ethos—build credibility and a sense of connection and trust
Body: Logos dominant, but not exclusively. Exposition of both problem and
• Narration: establish the motivating problem.
• Division: solution options—solutions conceptually framed.
• Proof: prove why your solution is best (primary & secondary benefits)
• Prolepsis: anticipate and refute your opponents’ arguments.
• decorum: tone, mood, appropriate pathos/ethos
• vividness/concreteness: examples, stories
• ornament: figures of speech, metaphors, humor
• proper language: usage, mechanics, clarity, fluency