Choose one of the poems from the reading for Modules 4 or 5. The poem you select must be sophisticated enough to sustain a detailed analysis.
- Analyze one or more of the poem’s elements.
- Your explication is not a summary of what the poem is about. Nor are you expected to unravel the poemâ€™s â€œmeaning.â€ Rather, you are explaining how the poet used a particular poetic element, and you are analyzing how that element affects the rest of the poem.
- Include a thesis statement that states the element you are analyzing and why.
- Follow a systematic writing pattern by analyzing the element on which you are focusing line-by-line or stanza-by-stanza.
- Provide textual examples (words, phrases, and lines) from the poem to illustrate your analytical statements