Clinical Field Experience A: Using Technology and Media in the Classroom
Using technology-based resources within the English language arts classroom supports real-world applications and helps to inspire teachers in their lesson planning and instructional practices. Continually exploring technology resources that can be utilized within the classroom demonstrates a teaching best practice.
Allocate at least 4 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe an English language arts lesson taught by a certified K-8 teacher that integrates educational technology to enhance instruction. During the observation, take note of how technology was used and its effectiveness.
Following your observation, collaborate with your mentor teacher to discuss the integration of technology in the ELA classroom. Specifically discuss with your mentor teacher his or her practices related to ensuring the safe, legal, and ethical use of technology in the classroom.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 500-750 words, reflect on your observation and discussion by addressing the following:
- During the lesson you observed, what technology resources did your mentor teacher use?
- Describe the ways in which the observed technology positively or negatively contributed to instruction and engagement.
- What specific additional technology could have been used within the lesson and how would you have used them?
- How does your mentor teacher ensure the safe, legal, and ethical use of technology and information accessed from the technological resources?
- Explain how you will use your findings related to the use of technology in ELA instruction in your future professional practice.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.