INTE 1030 Digital Strategy
INTE 1030 Digital Strategy
Provide a critical analysis of relevant literature: this should identify and explain relevant theories, arguments and perspectives regarding the topic of your choice. You can take a specific position on the topic and discuss the literature to support, refute or demonstrate your position. Here you are free to create appropriate sub-section headings.
Discussion of the main challenges, problems and issues businesses face in relation to the chosen topic (or your specific position).
Conclusion: discussion of the overall coverage of the topic including emerging trends about the future.
Chose a topic that can demonstrate your understanding of the course
Locate relevant sources (databases, journals, books). You are expected to refer to refereed (peer reviewed) academic papers more so than Internet yellow pages.
Identify relevant literature (at least 10 relevant Journal articles. Start with the course references list to support your initial exploration of the themes, concepts and issues that may apply to the topic).
Analyse and synthesise the literature to produce an analytical essay that addresses not only “what” questions but also “why”, “how” and “in what sense” questions.
This essay should not be more than 2500 words excluding reference.
The essay shall be formatted as: 11pt font Times New Roman or Calibri; 1.5 line spacing and 2.54 (standard setting) margin.
This is a TURNITIN assignment. The assignment submission will allow you to check the originality of your report. The goal is less than 15% similarity. However, the important thing isn’t the percentage – it is that the work is your own. As such, not all Turnitin scores under 15% indicate everything is OK nor all Turnitin scores over 15% mean there is a problem. The main thing to watch is what makes up the similarity percentage. If for example the similarity is because of references, you can ignore it.
There is no need for an executive summary or abstract.
Your analysis and recommendations will need to be supported with clear and relevant evidence from both scholarly and other sources described under the list of evidence.
All sources including models and frameworks must be cited using the RMIT referencing guide which you can find on Canvas under “Modules/Welcome /Policies and Guidelines”. INTE 1030 Digital Strategy
Introduction (5): An accurate statement of the topic is provided and key terms are defined with relevant citations. An overview of the themes, arguments and issues to be discussed is presented.
Evidence based discussion and critical analysis (20): Relevant and valid answer to the essay topic that uses high quality references to underpin all arguments/points. Logical flow and development of ideas. Synthesis and critical analysis is underpinned by appropriate literature; use of relevant theories, concepts and frameworks to support analysis; own input, insight and interpretation.
Conclusion (10): A clear and complete summary of key arguments, issues and themes is presented that corresponds to the outline presented in the introduction. Accurate implications and/or recommendations are provided
Presentation and Referencing (5): Clarity of structure, quality of presentation, style and readability. Appropriate citation of sources and evidence used; use of RMIT referencing and citation style. Writing support resources and services If you haven’t written a report or essay recently, if English is not your first language or if you would like some extra guidance and feedback when preparing your submission you should visit the RMIT Resources section on Canvas under “Modules/Welcome /RMIT Resources”. The site features study and learning resources, support and skills. INTE 1030 Digital Strategy
A digital strategy can be stated to as a form of significant strategic management and a proper business response to the digital question that is being addresses as the part of an entire business strategy (Setia et al. 2013). This digital strategy is being characterized by an application of newer technologies to the existing business activities. The following essay focuses on a brief discussion on the broad topic that organizations are developing various digital capabilities to effectively harness the emerging innovation opportunities. The organizations often get several significant advantages after being more marketing as well as customer focused (Hirt & Willmott 2014). The most noteworthy and important examples of customer focused and marketing efforts are web sites, search engine optimization, electronic commerce, mobile, advertising and social media. This essay will be providing a critical analysis on the process that organizations utilize to develop digital capabilities for harnessing emerging innovation opportunities.
Digital capability is referred to a term that is used for describing the major skills and opportunities, which an organization require while thriving the current world (Karimi & Walter 2015). The capabilities of the individuals are being considered until which the infrastructure and culture of the organization is enabling and motivating digital practices. Digital capabilities can be eventually developed or built by defining six elements in an organization for organizational members and these six elements are as follows:
- i) ICT Infrastructure: The first and the foremost element for digital capability is ICT infrastructure. It refers to the information and communication technology systems and infrastructure like networks, firmware, hardware and software for providing effective and efficient competitive advantages to the organization (Nambisan et al. 2017). The major components of the information technology are being provided by this particular element of digital capability. IT services are being developed, tested, delivered, monitored, controlled and even supported.
- ii) Information, Media and Data Literacies: The second important and significant core element of digital capability is the information, media and data literacy. These above mentioned literacies would be extremely important for the organizational members so that they get knowledge about digital information, digital media and digital data (Weill & Woerner 2015). This will be increasing the organizational productivity to a higher level and thus organization would be gaining major competitive advantages.
iii) Digital Creation, Innovation and Problem Solving: This is yet another important and significant element of digital capability. The organizational members should be able to digitally create, innovate and even solve the problems effectively and efficiently (Nylén & Holmström 2015). This type of creativity can easily enhance the organizational effectiveness to a high level and they would be able to harness innovation eventually.
- iv) Digital Communications, Collaborations and Partnership: The fourth significant and core element of digital capability is digital communications, collaborations and partnerships (Tan et al. 2015). The respective organization should be able to communicate as well as collaborate with the other organizations and even form partnerships so that it becomes easier for them to understand the current market situations and customer demands.
- v) Digital Learning as well as Development: The organizational members should be able to acquire digital learning for successfully developing digital capability in an organization (Lyytinen, Yoo & Boland Jr 2016). Innovation and creativity are majorly harnessed in this process and the organization is upgraded to an advanced level majorly.
- vi) Digital Identity and Well Being: The sixth or the final core element of digital capability is digital identity and wellbeing. Hence, the information is being used by a computer system to represent an external agent. The organizational members would be able to learn about their protection of digital identities.
Importance Of Digital Capabilities In Companies
Digital capabilities are extremely important and significant for each and every company as they are responsible for eradicating the complexities of digital innovation effectively and efficiently (Bharadwaj et al. 2013). There are some of the core and noteworthy reasons that state that digital capabilities are important for any company. These reasons that help to understand the importance of digital capabilities in companies are as follows:
- i) Better Employability: The first and the foremost reason that describes that digital capability is extremely important and significant for the companies is that it provides better employability. Any organization, which has the ability to use digital technologies, eventually get a better chance to have positivity in the employability after being impacted on the entire capabilities with every digital thing.
- ii) Identity and Leadership: As per Iansiti and Lakhani 2014, the second reason, which describes that this digital capability would be extremely important for each and every company is identity and leadership. The extension of leadership into the digital space and then forging a specific purposeful digital identity is not a mandatory activity.
iii) Better Collaboration: The third reason for digital capabilities being effective for companies is its better collaboration (Yeow, Soh & Hansen 2018). Digital channels are being used for getting connected on a regular basis and thus it is observed that connectivity for collaboration is increasingly massively.
- iv) Connection and Community: Connection as well as community is yet another important and significant reason that states that the communities of engagement and practice eventually occupy all the parts of the business and building, sustaining and finally creation of communication is both expansive and social.
- v) Assisting and Learning: According to Matt, Hess and Benlian 2015, the next important and noteworthy reason that is required to be considered while understanding the importance of digital capabilities within any organization and organizational members is assisting and learning. The digital tools are worthwhile when they are being utilized in subsequent methods. The organizations can use digital capabilities to enhance the practice of assisting and even crating newer pathways for better learning.
- vi) Critical Thinking: This is yet another significant reason, which is needed to be considered for understanding the importance of digital capabilities within any organization is critical thinking (Daub & Wiesinger 2015). The significant capacity for evaluating, distilling and opining on the digital resources is one of the important capability for employees to follow critical reflection.
vii) Listening and Synthesis: The seventh reason to understand the importance of digital capability in any company is listening and synthesis. The utilization of digital platforms for curating monitoring and collating into meaningful collection of information is a discrete part of this digital capability.
viii) Professional Development: Finally, digital capabilities are responsible for the enhancement of professional development. Lyon et al. 2016 state that, the digital channels such as social networks eventually represent a proper flow of professional development potential. The organization can easily learn and then present flow of social media that has generated the professional development.
The above mentioned eight reasons clearly state that the digital capabilities are extremely important or vital for the organization since it can easily bring innovation and creativity in the business without much complexity and hence organizational efficiency is increased.
INTE 1030 Digital Strategy