Find a student* in your major who is in his/her sophomore (2nd) year and beyond. Interview that student to get their perspective on the first year. You can ask any question you like, but here are some ideas:
– What did you expect in your first year? Did it match your expectations?
– What do you wish you had done differently in your first year?
– What was the best experience you had during your first year?
– How did you plan for your second year?
– What advice would you give to freshman?
Once you have the answers to your questions, develop an essay based on the most important point that was raised in the interview. This point can form the thesis of your essay.
– Introductory paragraph with thesis statement (this is the central point of the essay)
The Writing Studio is a great resource to help with writing. Once you have a draft of the assignment, please visit the Writing Studio to get feedback.