Professionals working with children and families typically receive cultural competency training; however, such training rarely includes the influence of culture on family dynamics and child rearing practices (Johnson, Radesky, & Zuckerman 2013). As a professional working with diverse families it is important to consider the influence of culture on parenting. For this discussion, you will be evaluating, â€œHow much of how we parent is dictated by our culture?â€
* It is important to note that cultural patterns do not represent all people in a community.*
To prepare for this discussion
- Reading Chapter 6 of the course text
- Read Promoting Healthy Parenting Practices Across Cultural Groups: A CDC Research Brief
In your initial post
- Discuss three general findings in the research brief about cultural parenting patterns.
- Explain, using Table 1 on page 8 of the research brief, three different cultural patterns regarding what parents consider to be good behavior among children.
- Explain, using Table 1 on page 9 of the research brief, three different cultural patterns regarding what parents consider to be bad behavior among children.
- Evaluate the information you have gained and answer the question, â€œHow much of how we parent is dictated by our culture?â€