MKTG 3340: Principles of Social Media Marketing
Your requirement is to deliver a well-developed, edited, professional-business analysis of your brand. The following sections direct you to subject matter. There is not a template for the final installment of the BMP. At this point you should be the pro on your brand and its situation. Develop headings as warranted by your analysis and develop the content accordingly, citing pertinent evidence to support your arguments/observations.
Your paper should include the following sections:
- Introduction: Introduce your company, product/brand â€“ what they do and why social media is important to their business. Hint: Look at the industry they operate within as well as the norms/standards for social media use in that industry. The extensive research you conducted for your proposal should help you here.
- Thesis Statement: Since you are taking a position in your presentation AND backing it up with evidence, facts, and statistics, you need to include a thesis statement (a strong thesis statement requires proof). This should be a statement (or two) on the position you are taking and how you intend to analyze/evaluate it. This is specific to your company and industry â€“ thus, contributing to â€œbest practiceâ€ in the industry landscape. It can also be considered your Hook. The remainder of your paper should be the support for this statement. It should help to guide and control what you put in your paper. If you are unsure of writing a thesis statement, consult Google or the Writing Center at the Library.
- Summary of social media use: Include a chart that presents the numbers of followers, frequency of posts, etc. Then, summarize the companyâ€™s history/current use of all social media. Some things to consider: Can you tell who manages SM for the business? Are they using various tools in unique ways that adapts to the medium or are they redundant? If they are missing from a channel, can you deduce why?
- Results / Analysis: In this section, you will deliver what you learned about the company, product/brand after a semester of social media listening. You should organize the information by category.
- Organizational use of social media
- Use of each tool: How do they leverage each tool for its best use? How is each tool used to move the customer through the purchase process? (see pg. 26); provide examples; infer primary purpose. This is what weâ€™re interested in. Analyze each company’s social media use on each platform to discern strategic purpose. Are they effectively using social in ways that encourage trial, facilitate purchase, raise brand awareness, or deepen customer loyalty? Be specific in your analysis. Do not simply describe their post. Tell me what you think the posts are trying to achieve in terms of IMC objectives.
- Competitive position with respect to the use of social media marketing best practices in the industry. Ultimately, this project was designed for you to come to conclusions regarding social media best practices in the type of company/industry you have evaluated â€“ so make sure these â€œbest practicesâ€ are part of your evaluation. Obviously, you should evaluate a couple of competitors.
- Organizational use of social media
- Include a Digital/Social Media Marketing SWOT/Competitive analysis based on social media conversations. (See Appendix at end of document).
- Assessment and Recommendations / Practicality: In this section you will elaborate on what you have discovered about your companyâ€™s social media implementations; what they use, how they use it, and how you feel about their use. You are the managerial decision maker in this case. If you were in charge of Social Media decisions, what Social Media implementations would you suggest the company use in the future? All semester you have laid the foundation. In this section, build the house.
Make at least (3) three recommendations based upon your assessment and research. What should they do, why should they do it, what do you expect to happen if they do, and why do you expect that to happen? Give evidence (refer back to something, reference materials, examples, etc.) as to why you have come to these conclusions! You cannot simply say â€œI think they shouldâ€¦.â€
- Sources: Demonstrate that you used appropriate materials with which to base your analysis. APA style.
*This is not an essay. This is not an exercise in sharing your opinion or how you feel or what you believe. This is a business report that presents evidence in an analytical way and arrives at a conclusion based upon that evidence. Avoid first person statements (I and we) in order to avoid sloppy analysis and defaulting back to belief or opinion. Avoid sweeping generalizations. Avoid over use of qualifying language (excellent, effective, impressive, good etc.) Present the evidence and let the reader decide based upon your evidence.
** I expect a professional, well-written, edited (grammar, spelling, etc.) document. I recommend using the Writing Center in the library to help you if your writing skills warrant it. That is to say, donâ€™t let your writing undermine your great ideas.
***The grade given to average work on all assignments is a C. B or A indicates impressive achievement above the average. A indicates especially exceptional work. Grades below a â€˜Câ€™ indicate inadequacies in any or all of sections/criteria.
See Rubric uploaded to ecourseware.
Here is the explanation of the Social Media SWOT in more detail:
Strengths (Social Media implementations (social media programs, campaigns, etc. initiated by company) that positions (company market positioning in industry â€“ ranking more market share for product/brand; ranking more profitability (ROI), etc. for product/brand) the company or focuses the company, product/brand competitively)
Weaknesses (Social Media implementations that allows the competition to better position themselves against your company)
Focus on the internal environment – the situation inside the company or organization
Factors tend to be in the present
Opportunities (Social Media implementations that can make the company position better and provide more market share or revenue for the company, product/brand)
Threats (Social Media implementations that need to be dealt with in the future that could have a negative impact on the company, product/brand position).
Focus on the external environment – the situation outside the company or organization
Factors tend to be in the future
SWOT Analysis for Facebook from 2013
- Allows integration with many websites and applications
- Has more than a billion active users
- The user experience is excellent
- Understands what the users need and want
- Weak click-through-rate of advertisements
- Lacks of some features like video chats, group chats, dislike buttons, etc.
- Advertisements on Facebook is the only major source of revenues
- Attitude towards usersâ€™ privacy creates a negative image
- Lack of website customization
- Weak protection of usersâ€™ information
- Number of Facebook users who access the social media via mobile devices are increasing
- Expansion to China
- Add more sources of revenue
- Open Facebook marketplace
- Increasing number of mobile internet users
- Users have ad-block extensions
- Online marketingâ€™s slow growth rate
- Privacy issues like identity theft
- Weak business model
There are plenty of SWOT analyses for companies available on the Internet. I better not see ANY of those. This is a social media SWOT analysis. If you include anything else, it better have some impact on the use of social media and be clearly stated.