- PICOT is an acronym used to help develop clinical research questions and guide you in your search for evidence:P = Patient populationI = Intervention or issue of interestC = Comparison of interventions or comparison of interestsO = OutcomeT = Time frameFor example, you may wish to research the effects of interrupted sleep on cognition of ICU patients 65 or older.Using this PICOT model,In _________(P), how does __________ (I) compared to _________ (C) influence _________ (O) over ________ (T)?In ICU patients who are 65 or older, how does interrupted sleep (awakened one time or more in four hours) as compared to uninterrupted sleep influence the patientâ€™s cognitive ability over 5 days?
Assignment DirectionsBegin by selecting a topic in nursing or medicine that is of interest to you. Next, use PICOT to format possible research questions about that topic. Provide 3 possible PICOT research questions.
Include the following:
- Title page
- Provide a brief description of the topic and background information.
- Explain the significance of the topic to nursing practice.
- Provide 3 clearly stated PICOT questions.
Your paper should:
- Be 2â€“3 pages (not including the title page and reference page)
- Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources.