SPC 3425 Small Group Communication Paper Guidelines
Purpose: The goal of this assignment is for you to analyze a group of your choosing by examining its history and applying course concepts and theories.
Task: Write a 6-7 page APA-style paper that analyzes a small group of your choosing. This paper is broken into 3 parts. Address the following information in each part:
- Part 1: Select a small group to research and analyze. Describe the small group by providing relevant background information such as the groupâ€™s history, mission, vision, values, and any other pertinent information. Part 1 should be no more than 20% of your paper.
- Part 2: Select 4-6 of the following small group communication concepts from the textbook and discuss them as they relate to the small group you chose. You should bring in specific concepts from the text for your analysis.
- Groups as systems
- Group development
- Effective teams
- Effective decision making
- Defective decision making
- Conflict management
- Virtual groups
- Part 3: Evaluate how your chosen small group uses these aspects of communication. Does the small group use them well? Could it make improvements? Support your answers with specific material. Parts 2 and 3 should constitute at least 80% of your paper.
A successful student will:
- Submit a paper that is 5-7 pages long (double spaced, not counting any headers/footers/extraneous material) and is free from any grammatical or syntactical errors. This paper does not require a cover page or abstract.
- Break the analysis into 3 parts.
- Address all parts of the assignment guidelines in the paper.
- Support all writing with concepts and theories from the text. Bring in specific ideas from the text to support your analysis.
- Include formal introductory and concluding paragraphs that have a thesis statement that highlights the main points of the paper.
- Use APA style appropriately (i.e. cite sources in text and in a reference list).
- Submit the essay to the appropriate dropbox by the deadline.