In the early 2000’s, cellular carriers would not allow phone manufactorers to include wifi connections on their phones. Then the smartphone came, and this changed the mind of wireless carriers where use of wifi on smartphones was encouraged.
- Why would cellular carriers not allow phone manufacturers to include wifi connections?
- Why did the introduction of smartphones change all of this?
- How do you see the device changing what standards they would use in the future?
Both WiMax (802.16e) and LTE are emerging standards.
- Compare and contrast these standards.
- Why did Wimax take an early lead in adoption?
- What advantages have lead LTE to be chosen by the majority of carriers.
- Do you feel that one standard is better than the other? Explain your answer.