For this part of your project, you will focus on wireless networking security.
Bering (Chicago) has decided that it needs to redesign its manufacturing floor network by opening it up to wireless access, so that those responsible for the flow of the manufacturing facility will have the ability to move around and access the manufacturing and customer databases anywhere and at any time on the floor using a variety of mobile devices.
However, having wireless access within the facility can potentially open up the network to a variety of attacks. These threats can come from individuals visiting the office, users within the office/on the floor and possible external threats (for example, the signal can be picked up outside the office as leakage as it is an easily intercepted medium and does not require a physical connection.)
You have been charged with addressing this redesign. In addition, you need to be aware of how your design will support policies regarding Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and wireless communication. Review the example polices provided as reading for this Module as examples of the typical requirements that make up these policies.
Note: Workers on the factory floor use a mixture of devices including tablets and laptops.
You are required to create a design proposal in which you:
- Create a wireless access point diagram using the provided Floor Plan. Consider and note placement of all wireless access points:
- Diagram the placement and area of the signal coverage.
- Ensure overlap of wireless signals and ensure there is no â€œblank spotsâ€.
- Minimize any potential signal leakage outside the facility.
- Address the following in the written part of your proposal:
- Analyze vulnerabilities of mobile devices in regard to usability and scalability based on your research and suggest methods to mitigate the vulnerabilities of mobile devices.
- Explain what types of devices you would use and any updates you would make to your previous networks diagram. Note: You are NOT updating the diagram itself.
- How do you plan to protect the network from rouge access points?
- How should all wireless access points be secured/hardened?
- Justify whether you are going to allow a guest network or not and if you are, how will you protect the network?
- Discuss how your design will support policies regarding Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and wireless communication. Be sure to tailor this part of your project so that it is technically comprehensive and clear but does not rely on technical language to meet the expectations of the target audience of non-technical, executive leadership, and customers. Note: Review the example polices provided as reading for this Module as examples of the typical requirements that make up these policies.
- Provide a brief Executive Summary of how your design is meeting the strategic goals of the company outlined in the Course Project Introduction if applicable.
Notes on submission:
- Insert the Visio diagrams into the body of your design proposal so that THEY are active and editable. You should not be using screenshots.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources as references in this assignment. Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Use professional tone and vocabulary, APA format, and proper spelling and grammar.